Privacy Policy Document

Drakesfield. All Right Reserved.

Drakesfield Management Ltd: Company Reg No: 3631397 /

VAT Reg No: 736 3377 19

Drakesfield Estates Ltd: Company Reg No: 3130947

Address: 106 Merton High Street, SW19 1BD

Tel: 020 8715 9444 / 9474


Opening Hours: 

Mon-Fri: 10am - 6.30pm                                  

In An Emergency?

Any repair issues responsibility of the landlord should be reported to us by Email or Phone during our office hours which are Monday to Friday between 10am to 6.30pm excluding bank holidays. We are usually able to respond to emails outside our opening hours, so email us in the first instance.

Tel: 020 8715 9444
Email: or or

If there is an emergency situation outside our office hours which is not regarded a 999 emergency call. You must email us first, if you do not get a response within 3 hours and the issue cannot wait until the next day, then you can contact a qualified local contractor to solve the issue or make the property safe.

We or the contractor will determine if this is an absolute emergency and a landlord issue if not you will be liable for the costs.
When calling out of hour contractors be aware that some companies are extremely expensive so get an indication of the cost/quote first as we will only cover any costs reasonably incurred.


  • Leaks- severe which will cause danger to the property or the building. In first instant you should turn the water off at the tap or mains stop cock.

  • Loss of electrical power to the whole property.  If power cut, check your fusebox first if beyond your meter then contact UK Power Networks.

  • Blockage or unable to use your only toilet (if the blockage has been caused by you, then you will be responsible for the cost).

  • No heating or hot water and there is no other form available.

  • Broken window/s or door following a break-in.

If you smell gas, then contact the gas emergency service (National Grid) immediately on 0800 111 999.

In life threaten situation contact 999

If Powercut check your fusebox first if beyond your meter then contact UK Power Networks or your local distribution network.